<data:blog.pageTitle/> <data:blog.pageName/> - <data:blog.title/>
Home
La Nonna: Italian Dining Made Affordable


On the rare occasion when I visit a really nice restaurant and enjoyed really delicious food, I get really inspired to edit the photos and write a glowing review. 
I am glad to say La Nonna was one of the rare few places that's inspired me to do so. 

La Nonna is Italian for "The Grandmother" and they're located in a corner of Holland Village, with a really nondescript storefront. I wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't pointed out to me. La Nonna serves up authentic traditional Italian cuisine that warms the tummy, and the heart. 

Prices can get a teeny bit high here, but that's because they are a little more upscale than your usual restaurants. You can simply call it more atas. But I assure you, the price tag is definitely justified. 



Golden crispy Calamari Rings with Arrabbiata sauce ($19)

We ordered an Antipasti (appetizer) to share, and this is hands down one of the best calamari I've ever tasted. The squids were fresh and just light coated in batter so that it doesn't overwhelm the freshness of the squid. The Arrabbiata sauce is sweet and adds a nice touch to the dish. Definitely whets my appetite for the main courses. 



Linguine Pasta served with Crab Meat in Tomato Cream sauce and fresh Basil ($24)

While it might look like there isn't much crab meat, there is actually alottttt hidden in the pasta. The crabmeat is all shredded up so that you get crab in every mouthful. The linguine is well done, though the plating could be improved. The fly in the ointment is that I detect a slight hint of that very sea water crabby taste in the second mouthful. Puts me off this dish a little bit because the first mouthful was wonderful, full of the sweetness of crab. I hope that was just a one off thing though. Other than that, a fine dish indeed.



Homemade Pappardelle Pasta with Oxtail ragout and Rosemary ($25)

I liken this to kuay teow, because it's so broad and flat. The oxtail is very soft and flavourful with a hint of herbs, the meat coming apart easily and literally melts in your mouth. While it's good, I must say this is not my favourite, probably because it is overall a heavier dish in terms of taste and flavour. 




Capellini Pasta with Vongole in White Wine sauce and fresh Basil ($23)

This is hands down my favourite dish. I have never been a fan of pasta, but that's only because I've never actually found delicious pasta in Singapore. Now I have.
I am not a fan of cream based or tomato based pasta, but I do love a good Aglio Olio or in this case, a kickass Vongole pasta tossed in White Wine sauce.

I counted at least 26 clams on this plate, oh I definitely had a slurping good time devouring the clams, and and the very delicious white wine sauce. The pasta was done al dente and it's easy to just slurp them all up when paired with the highly addictive sauce. 




Lobster Ravioli with Arrabbiata sauce and fresh Herbs ($26)

This is like wanton, but Western style. The pasta is served up piping hot, lobster meat encased within the pasta. I found the pasta skin a little too thick for my liking, but that's just me, other than that I find this dish perfectly flavorful. The Arrabbiata sauce complemented the ravioli nicely. 



La Nonna has a very affordable ongoing weekday 1-for-1 lunch promotion, which is fantastic because this is definitely a good way to try some authentic Italian cuisine without busting your pocket. Not to mention the cosy environment and warm hospitality are legit reasons to return, I have already been back twice in two weeks so that gives you an idea how much I love the food here. I am definitely returning as soon as I can for more of that wonderfully lip-smacking Vongole capelleni. 


Verdict: 5/5



La Nonna
26/26B Lorong Mambong, Singapore 277685

Labels: , , , ,


Older Post | Newer Post

ABOUT ME


"The only thing I like better than talking about food is eating it." Hi! My name is Sarahh and I love to eat. Hop on to my blog for an exciting journey with me.

CONTACT


Email:dream-oracle@hotmail.com

Subscribe via RSS Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to Flickr Facebook Subscribe to Tumblr

Subscribe via Email

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Curiouser and Curiouser ?

ADS

The Besty

Search

Archives

Copyright

Creative Commons License
All work on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.