<data:blog.pageTitle/> <data:blog.pageName/> - <data:blog.title/>
Home
Travel Taiwan: Eating in Xi Men Ding



The youthful vibrance of this renowned shopping area greets me the minute I step out of the MRT station. 
To get to Xi Men Ding, alight at Xi Men station and take Exit 6. 

Stumbled upon the famous Ay-Chung Flour Rice Noodle and I told myself I have to try this. 
Despite everyone telling me it's overrated, and despite the fact that I'm not a fan of mee sua. 


They call this "flour rice noodle" which is way too complicated, basically it's just MEE SUA. 
Yeah the mee sua we ate while growing up. 
Part of the Taiwan foodie experience is to stand at the road sides with a steaming bowl and try to consume it without spilling. The crazy crowd weren't ordering, they were all eating haha! 






Even though I'm not a fan of mee sua, I think this one is not bad. 
At least, it hit all the spots for me. 
It was a cold drizzling night in Taipei, and this was sizzling hot. 
Comfort food for the soul. 

There were generous portions of oysters and intestines, and the mee sua were cut thickly. It is generally thicker than the ones we see in Singapore. Despite that, everything slid down my throat smoothly and the hint of vinegar simply enhances the overall flavour of the dish. Delish. 



Xi-Meng-Ting Headquarter/西門町總店:
Address: No.8-1, Emei St., Wanhua District, Taipei City
Walking Directions: 5 minutes walk from Ximen MRT station, exit 6
地址: 台北市峨嵋街8號之1
Opening Hours: 11:00 to 22:30 (Mon – Thu); 11:00 to 23:00 (Fri – Sun)
Tel: 02-2388-8808

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From this point on, the food we ate were all from roadside stalls, so it's kinda difficult to tell you the exact location. Another thing is, roadside peddling is illegal in Xi Men Ding, so the stall owners tend to run about here and there, changing locations to avoid police detection. If you see something that interests you, JUST BUY. If you hesitated like me, then you'll have to stand around and wait until the stall owner came out of their hidey holes. 

Just remember, always make sure they handed over the food to you before you pay. 
If you happen to be the suay zai who paid first, and the police were to come, good luck getting your food. The stall owners will run so fast and hide in the numerous alleys, you can either wait around or kiss goodbye to your money. The latter is more likely to happen. 



Quail Eggs 鸟蛋


This is some amazing stuff. We opted for salt and pepper flavour, the grilled quail eggs were coated in a layer of batter and they tasted soft and fluffy. Quite an interesting taste.. we gobbled it up before I can take any photos. I saw this in Dan Shui too, but like I said, if you see something you want to try, don't hesitate because there is no guarantee you'll find the same stall again. 


 Taiwanese Sausage 台湾香肠

Local specialty right, how can you some to Taiwan without having Taiwanese sausage?!
I only have one sentence to say. 
This is 100x better than the one sold in our Pasar Malams. 
Big, fat and juicy with minimal fat, every bite is flavourful. The juices simply burst into your mouth, and the slightly charred skin just adds a teeny hint of freshly grilled bitterness to the taste. Overwhelmingly good. 
Not sure what flavour we picked but I think it's the original flavour. They always have a dozen different creative flavours for you to choose, so go crazy trying them all! 




Salted Crispy Chicken 盐酥鸡

Something that I've been wanting to try ever since I landed in Taiwan! 
The salty and spicy combination is really tempting. 
Ate them hot off the stove, quite amazed I didn't end up with a sore throat after 10 days of such heaty food.




Verdict: 4/5 

Xi Men Ding is just like our Bugis village in an bigger, open-aired concept. 
But I like Xi Men Ding better. There are all sorts of retail shops, theatres, hair salons, and row after rows of eateries selling unique Taiwan cuisine. If you don't want Taiwanese food, you can also find Japanese food, Korean restaurants lining the streets. The key to having a good time here, is to plan in ample time so you can explore every nook and cranny, and sample every street food delight. 




How to get there: 

MRT blue line to station Xi Men Station 西门站.

Labels: , ,


Older Post | Newer Post

ABOUT ME


"The only thing I like better than talking about food is eating it." Hi! My name is Sarahh and I love to eat. Hop on to my blog for an exciting journey with me.

CONTACT


Email:dream-oracle@hotmail.com

Subscribe via RSS Follow me on Twitter Subscribe to Flickr Facebook Subscribe to Tumblr

Subscribe via Email

Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Curiouser and Curiouser ?

ADS

The Besty

Search

Archives

Copyright

Creative Commons License
All work on this website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.